Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Tank Top into Flare Sleeve Summer Top

Hi guys!
I wanted to show how I converted a regular cotton rib tank top into a hippie style top with crochet flare sleeves and fabric panel. First I don’t crochet, but I did find this cotton crochet fabric downtown for $3/yd, so I bought a yard to try it out. It has some stretch to it so it would work with the tank top. It’s kind of tricky to sew with because of the holes, and it freaks my machine out a little bit, so the zig-zag stitch was the way to go.


Tank top before


Tank top after


gather materials


For center fabric panel: fold tank, mark center, and cut


For flare sleeves: fold fabric longways, then fold again in half - then lay tank top over fabric and trace your sleeve - keep folded ends of fabric right under tank top and open ends of fabric at the opposite end


Voila! (sorry about the fuzzy pic, and yes I am standing on a chair)


for more detailed instructions on this project check it out here!
to see my other stuff go here!

10 comments:

La La Lauren!!! said...

Very nice gaby! great job.

LaLaLauren
Editor on Duty

La La Lauren!!! said...

Very nice gaby! great job.

LaLaLauren
Editor on Duty

Becky said...

I love the sleeves!

Bat Ma'am said...

SOOO CUTE! I have some crocheted material that I had no idea what to do with, now I have plans for it :D
Thank you for the inspiration!

gaby said...

Thanks guys!

learningnewtricks said...

What a neat way to change boring tank tops. Love the sleeves and middle insert.

Adele said...

I absolutely love this! I had a top like this, only with brightly coloured sleeves, when I was in 6th form and I loved it. Think I know what I'm going to be making next. Love it!

- Ellie @ Mammy Made

The Renegade Seamstress said...

REALLY cute and original!

Bat Ma'am said...

I was just thinking about this post and how to do something like this with my material.. when I realized my jealousy that you can have that peek-a-boo detail in the front! I have SEVERE mommy-tummy. Maybe I'll do the back.. or one on each side?? We shall see what happens ;)

gaby said...

Bat Ma'am, I love the idea of side panels! or even one on the back would be cute too!