Saturday, November 22, 2014

Wool Sweater Remake

I'm new here. My name is Patti. I live in upstate New York near Lake Ontario. I teach elementary math, grades 1-5. I bought a 100% wool sweater at my very (3 blocks from my house) thrift store. It had a JCrew label, but the quality of the wool is not so great. It was XXlarge. I put it through the hot water wash cycle and dried it on high heat with the hopes that it would shrink to fit with a boiled wool look. It didn't come out so well, I decided to cut it apart and remake it into a more feminine shape. There was another major issue, the elbows were shot, and some moth holes appeared. I patched the elbows and darned the moth holes. I used lace to finish the neck line. I seriously love this sweater!




8 comments:

Cathy said...

So cute!!!

jennifer elliott said...

I love the refashioned sweater too! Great job.

Jennifer Elliott, EOD

Unknown said...

Nicely done! Sweater refashions are some of my favorites!

- Elizabeth
aka The Hungry Octopus

jenny_o said...

Turned out well, and the lace on the neck is a nice finish. All your work paid off!

Brittney said...

The elbow patches are a great touch. It's a shame that drying it on high didn't shrink it---that's what I do with my large thrifted sweaters.

Another Beautiful Thing || $50 H&M giveaway!

Gina said...

I never thought of edging a sweater like that. I must try it. Thank. You for sharing.

Mrs. Kelley Dibble said...

OH! MY! This is adorable. What a great save! You'll get a LOT of mileage out of this refashion!

Happy weekend,
Kelley~

Amy Jo said...

Welcome to Refashion Co-op! I love the project you shared. It turned out great! I live just south of you in Henrietta, with 5 thrift stores in a three mile radius of my home. Plenty of snow, plenty of thrifting. :)